Thursday, January 22, 2009

Green Home Inside the International Builders Show

I was mighty impressed that someone was going to build an entire house inside the Las Vegas Convention Center for the 4 day long International Builders Show. I was even more impressed that it was a green home.

This 2,426 square foot, two story, 3 bedroom, 2 ½ bath home is a combination of modular and panel construction. It took about 10 weeks to build off site and 3.5 days to assemble on the convention floor. No small feat, I’m sure!

The goal was to create a high performance home with high-end finishes and a zero carbon footprint.

Steve Glenn, CEO of Livinghomes, said that this one of a kind house is for sale for about $600,000. He said they could produce a home with out some of the super high-end finishes in quantity (not sure how many he meant) for about $150 per square foot.

The actual construction took place at the
Profile Structures plant in
Santa Fe Springs California. I don’t know too much about these companies but I do know that our friends at Forma Homes (a BANN member) do similar things right here in northern Nevada. I took a tour of their Fernley plant about a year ago and I was amazed. They take your design, build it in their factory with very low worker’s comp risks, less than 3% waste and no weather worries then ship it off on a truck (or trucks) to your site to be assembled. It’s a pretty cool process.

So, I’m not so sure my 90 minute wait for a tour of this house
was really worth it but, was awesome to see a full house inside
of the convention center!

View all of my IBS photos on Flickr

Missy Hinton

No comments:

Post a Comment